During 31 years of operation, an upstate New York hydro plant had to replace its mechanical water seal ten times. The original seal had a modest life expectancy of a few years, but replacements failed far too quickly. In January 2018, Hydro Tech was called in to find a solution. Click the link to read the full case study from Hydro Tech.
Click to view this Hydro Review article from May 2013
“When the turbine guide bearings installed at several hydroelectric plants in the U.S. suffered short lives and significant wear, the owners turned to lignum vitae material. Their experience has shown that this material, although more costly, can provide longer service life than composite and plastic bearing materials.”
This week on Mythbusters Lori Ann and James debunk the lignum vitae availability myth. While walking through the shop they uncovered 500 tons of premium bearing grade material. If you thought you could no longer obtain genuine lignum vitae, THINK AGAIN! #hydro #lignumvitae #bearing #thrustbearings #material
- It’s The Water Temperature
- It’s The Water Condition/Silty
- It’s The Marine Growth
- It’s The Shaft Quality
- It’s The Air Entrainment
A simple and cost-effective way to address ongoing premature failure, degradation and performance problems in polymers is shifting to lignum vitae bearings and seals.
The no-excuse solution lignum vitae is inherently able to adapt to extreme and dynamic operating environments:
- Zero Clearance
- Run of river water, No Filtering*
- Zero Wiping or Smearing of Material
- High Resistance to Shock, Edge Loading/Vibration issues
- Low Coefficient of Friction
- Oil/Grease-Free Operation
- No Hydrolysis Degradation/perfect memory
- Conforms to Worn Shafts
- Only industrial Renewable Bearing
- Mixed-mode of Lubrication/Dry Start & Hydrodynamic
- First water-lubricated bearing – 1854, the same for centuries
Our team of engineers and specialists collaborates with plant operators to understand their unique challenges to design long-term solutions made with lignum vitae. Contact us to see how the Lignum Vitae North America personalized approach can lead to the superior solution for your needs.